A distinctly Canadian trio of blueberries, bacon and maple syrup star in this sumptuous brunch recipe:
- 5 cups (600 g) French bread (6-8 thick slices) cut in 1.5″ square cubes
- 4 (200 g) large eggs
- 3 (50 g) large egg yolks
- 1 cup (240 ml) half & half 10% cream
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) maple syrup
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups (225 g) B.C. blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 ½ cups (225 g) bacon (15-20 slices)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/ 175°C
- Butter a non-stick 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
- Cut stale bread into 1.5 inch cubes and set aside (to make your own stale bread, cube fresh bread and bake in oven at 150°F/65°C for 30-60 minutes until dry).
- Fry slices of bacon in a pan, let cool and cut into ¾ inch pieces.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, cream, butter and maple syrup.
- Soak the cubed stale bread in the egg mixture for 10-20 minutes until bread absorbs the egg mixture.
- Fold in the bacon and blueberries.
- Pour into the buttered baking pan.
- Bake in a 350°F/175°C oven for 50-65 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Recipe Courtesy of: BC Living